What do I do?
I have conversations with individuals and communities. Then I use the skills I have as a writer, theatre-maker and cultural producer to turn those conversations into different kinds of artistic ‘things’.
Theatre. Installations. Poetry. Words. Experiments. Experiences. Moments.
I’m especially drawn to reclaiming (and forgiving) failure and mistakes. To finding vulnerability and connection. To leaning in to my own discomfort in the hopes of becoming a better human being. To finding joy in the everyday.
I’m still figuring it out myself.
*I’m also a proud parent, living this creative life with my beautiful and very precious family.
Why do I do it?
Because someone once did it for me. Because once upon a time I believed myself to be worthless and voiceless. I was wrong. And now I’m driven and inspired to keep asking questions. To keep challenging what IS, with what could BE. To keep discovering, learning and opening up the conversations we have together.
You can read the details of my journey from voiceless to vocal in the Griffith Review edition Cultural Solutions, which you can find here.
Who am I?
Or you know, ask me. Let’s talk. 🙂
Where do I work?
I’ve created and presented work across various states in both regional and urban Australia.
I’m currently based in Adelaide focusing my time into a very special project in the Southern suburbs. Regional communities are my first love and I have an ongoing commitment to my heartland, the Riverland region of South Australia.
Creating Art in the Desert
This blog is a place to share some of the things I’m working on, along with some of my thoughts and responses to this creative and crazy life I’m living.
Some Recent Highlights:
- 2016 – 2017: Currently participating in Australian Rural Leadership Foundation’s Australian Rural Leadership Program, supported by a scholarship from the Australia Council for the Arts;
- 2015: Recipient, Australia Council Kirk Robson Award
- 2014: SA Life, ‘SA’s Fastest Rising Stars Under 30’.
- 2014: Recipient, Channel Young Achiever Coffee Club Arts Award
- 2013: Recipient, Brands SA, Dr Group Arts Award
- 2013 -2014: Young Social Pioneers Alumna, Foundation for Young Australia’s flagship young change makers program;
- 2012: Monologue ‘Ben Thomas, I Love You’ published by Currency Press as part of the ‘The Voices Project’ and produced by Australian Theatre for Young People as part of ‘The One Sure Thing’
- 2011: One of 2 South Australian Delegates to attend the Commonwealth Youth Forum as part of CHOGM;
- 2011: Guest Speaker at SA Governor’s Queens Birthday Reception;
- 2011: Recipient, South Australian Young Citizen of the Year
You can be part of the resourcing dream team by supporting my work through Patreon, all the details here: https://www.patreon.com/lylyeeoftheriver
Patreon is a modern form of patronage for artists, enabling direct small scale financial support to keep making art. It works like a crowdfunding campaign, in that supporters choose an amount which corresponds to ‘rewards’, but instead of a once off, it’s a recurring donation (in my case on a monthly basis).
My Patreon has a $1, $3, $15 or $50 a month tier with various levels of behind the scenes access and special thanks.
No pressure, but if you enjoy my work and want to support more of it, I’d love to see you there.